Sunday, September 16, 2012

Timeline: Last CorrespondenceBetween Col. Sibley and Little Crow after the Battle of Birch Coulee

After the battle at Birch Coulee, the commanders of the two opposing forces, Sioux Chieftain Little Crow and Colonel Henry Hastings Sibley, exchanged correspondence one last time. On September 12th, Sibley received this message from Little Crow.

RED IRON VILLAGE, OR WAY-AU-AKAN
To Hon. H. H. Sibley
We have in ma-wa-kan-ton band one hundred and fifty five prisoners - not included the Sisitons and Wahpeton prisoners, then we are waiting for the Sisiton what we are going to do with the prisoners they are coming down - they are at Lake qui parle now, the words I want to the governor I'll want to hear from him also, and I want to know from you as a friend what way I can make peace for my people - in regard to prisoners  they fare with our children or ourself just as well as us. Your truly friend, Little Crow.

Sibley's terse reply of the same date:

HEADQUARTERS MILITARY EXPEDITION
September 12, 1862
To Little Crow, Sioux Chief:
I have received your letter today. You have not done as I wished in giving up the prisoners taken by your people. It would be better for you to do so. I told you I had sent your former letter to Governor Ramsey, but I have not yet had time to receive a reply. You allowed your young men to commit some murders since you wrote your first letter. This is not the way to make peace. H.H. Sibley, Colonel Commanding Military Expedition

Transcribed from the Ancestory, Life and Times of H.H. Sibley

Read the story in the format of your choice here


http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Prairie-Novel-Sioux-Uprising/dp/0615247962/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home