Monday, July 9, 2012

Blood on the Prairie A Novel of the Sioux Uprising, Dakota Conflict, American Civil War

 Conversation between Henry Sibley, Commander of the Indian Expedition, and Toby Ryker. They are in the mess tent at St. Peter with other officers after the Sioux massacre.

"You feel strongly about this, don't you, sir?" Ryker said.
"Yes, I do."
"I do too, because I'm half Chippewa, you know."
"With your red hair, i never would have guessed it. I had you pegged to be a Swede."
"Yah-shure, by golly, you betcha," Ryker said, laughing. "Lots of folks mistake me for a Swede, but I'm half Indian and half British."
"Which half is which?"
"Huh?"
"You said you're half Indian, half British." This time it was Sibley who  had a twinkle in his eye. "Which half is which?"
"Aw, shucks, sir, now you're teasing me," Ryker said, blushing. "But I guess the honest answer is I'm British on the outside and Indian on the inside."
This apparently wasn't the response Sibley was expecting because he sobered quickly and studied the scout for a moment. "That is a very interesting observation."

Read the story at the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Prairie-Novel-Sioux-Uprising/dp/0615247962/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home